This recipe makes about 30 rusks.
To make buttermilk rusks you will need:
1kg self-raising flour 2 eggs
200ml sugar 190g butter or margarine, melted
500ml buttermilk 5ml baking powder
What to do:
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl
- Beat the eggs, sugar and buttermilk together
- Cut this mixture into the dry ingredients with a knife
- Knead the dough lightly, gradually adding the butter while kneading. This will take about 7 minutes.
- Place balls of the dough next to each other in bread tins. The balls should reach about 2/3 the height of the tin.
- Place in the oven immediately and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and break into individual rusks.
- Lower the heat of the oven to 100°C (200°F) or less to dry the rusks in the oven. Turn them every 30 minutes.
MELKTERT (Milk Tart)
To make melktert you will need:
2 cups milk 15ml margarine or butter
60ml sugar 2 eggs
60ml flour Cinnamon
Pre-baked pastry shell
What to do:
- Melt butter with milk and sugar. Add flour which has been mixed with milk to a paste. Stir into milk mixture and mix until thick. Fold in beaten eggs.
- Pour into pastry shell and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 180°C until set.